Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Weekly Panel of Steel #1

I realize that I'm only three posts into this whole endeavor, but it's already time to debut the first of one of our (soon to be plentiful, I hope) regular features.

Every Thursday we'll take a quick gander through the new books that got released that week and find the best Superman pic of the bunch...and it shall be crowned the Weekly Panel of Steel!

There was only one "official" Superman book this week, and that was Superman 80-Page Giant 2011, with a kick-ass cover by Dustin Nguyen. I had all intentions of making his cover the winner this week, as I haven't been too thrilled with the recent spate of 80 pagers and actually wasn't planning on picking this up at all. Boy, was I misinformed. There were easily three or four awesome contenders, but the win goes to this one...


It's from the Jimmy Olsen story where Jimmy and Superman have to round up the 100 Jimmy Olsen clones that have been let loose in Metropolis. With each successive clone they find, the predicaments that they got themselves into just get weirder and weirder.

I love the composition on this panel, with the burned out clone strewn across the alley handcuffed to a demon's claw, to the silhouettes of Superman and Jimmy with just their iconic symbols colored. Fantastic stuff.

This particular story was written by Abhay Khosla and drawn by Andy MacDonald, and while I have never come across their names before, they're definitely on my radar now.

Story by Abhay Khosla
Artwork by Andy MacDonald
Colors by Chris Beckett
Letters by Sal Cipriano

Superman 80-Page Giant 2011 #1
Quarter-Life Crisis of Infinite Jimmy Olsens
April 2011
Copyright (c) DC Comics

No comments:

Post a Comment